Member of the EVE Tweet Fleet

Wednesday 3 March 2010

Keeping the Vigil

Being a newbie in 0.0 space can be a bit of an ego hit during fleet operation. You're always taking the last possible option in the suggested ship types and get to take part in the kamekazee role of light fast takle, made all the harder if you have lag, which interceptors will do faster and (T2 fit) cruisers will survive longer. This often leaves me wondering if there isnt something more effective I can do even with my noob skillset.

The other day I noticed a stash of Vigils in the corp hanger and I hatched an idea in my tiny mind. Its not heroic, its not butch and macho but I could sit back and targetpaint primaries and contribute by boosting DPS for everyone else so I took the road less travelled of the T1 E-war frigate.



[Vigil, Vigil Fleet Painter ]
Capacitor Power Relay I
Capacitor Power Relay I
Signal Amplifier I

Cold-Gas I Arcjet Thrusters
Target Painter I
Target Painter I

125mm Gatling AutoCannon I, EMP S
125mm Gatling AutoCannon I, EMP S
Rocket Launcher I, Foxfire Rocket

[empty rig slot]
[empty rig slot]
[empty rig slot]


Warrior I x1

Its pretty straightforward really, 2 painters in the mids to do the main business of the ship with a 1MW mwd letting me cruise at 3,500 m/s. The capacitor power relays keep everthing nice and cap stable while the sensor ap means I can lock targets out to 70ish km (which is just short of my target painting range).
I should be staying out of trouble but just in case I have the awesome power of 2 125mm AC's, Rockets and one whole Warrior 1 to fend off any would be attackers (they might be able to help against any drones sent to attack me atleast).
I know its got no tackle but my thinking is to stay as near max range as possible so I don't really want to be venturing in that close and putting my paper thin ship in any more risk.

Only used it in 1 fleet fight so far and it was pretty (very) uneventful so I'll take any and all suggestions.

5 comments:

  1. My first plan in EVE was to specialize in target painting (I figured, incorrectly, something quirky and unpopular would be useful) and fly Vigils > Hyenas > Rapiers. Actually, it worked out ok, except the Hyenas are so fragile it gets expensive, and you can't rat in a Vigil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know much about nullsec fleet fights, but certainly I think this can help a lot and probably will prove cheaper and more survivable than an interceptor. Whether the other pilots will notice (or agree) might not match up, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) rig the ship ( aux thrusters)
    2) Make it FAST ( see point 1)
    3) lose the rockets they suck and have absolutely horrid range.
    4) the AC's should only be used against drones...the damned ship is made of paper mache'
    Speed is the only tank that will let you survive, as long as you paint the smaller faster targets your idea will work ( provided your FC's agree )

    ReplyDelete
  4. EXACTLY what I was going to say, Manasi :)
    Depending on what you're up against and what you're flying with, the painters could/should add a considerable amount of extra DPS (much more than you would add as a suicide-frigate pilot....I mean tackler :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rockets were only there because I had a free high slot and I had a rocket launcher kicking about. Given it a bit more thought and I might try a cloak on instead then I can take up a scouting role if need be.
    Rigs are a good point though, I'll go shopping.

    ReplyDelete